Monday, December 8, 2008

Vote or Quit Complaining

I am a Child of the Eighties. I began kindergarten during the 1979-1980 academic year, which meant my formative years were spent listening to Mrs. Garrett teach the Facts of Life at Eastland School and to Arnold often inquiring, "What you talking 'bout, Willis?" I fell in love for the first time with a smart, Young Republican named Alex P. Keating, long before he was the face of Parkinson's Disease. I watched Michael Jackson moonwalk on Motown 25, while my Aunties screamed like the day the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan. I layered my clothes like the Material Girl and John Hughes helped guide me through the challenges of adolescence.

Much like my parent's generation will be forever linked to the moment when a handsome, young, Catholic president was gunned down during a Parade in Texas, I was jumping rope on the playground when they canceled recess to announce the Challenger Space Shuttle had blown up a minute after take-off. I watched my country take turns with the Russians boycotting the Olympic Games, while a handsome, ex-Hollywood heartthrob played a strategic game of Star Wars and kept my family safe from Communism. Yes, I am a Child of the Eighties, who once believed a Republican President could be the only person on the planet strong enough to demand another Super Power to " tear down this wall!"

I am also a member of Generation X. In the 1990's, I donned over-sized flannel and frequented bagel shops and coffee houses. A depressed singer from Seattle changed the course of music history and concerts morphed into an all-day Lollapalooza. Pedro taught me about dealing with AIDS on the only reality TV program I've ever watched. Live television broadcasts allowed me to witness a Royal Wedding, the LA police chase a white Bronco through the streets of Los Angeles, and missiles explode during the first Gulf War. Cheers closed, but at Central Perk there were six Friends who helped me navigate my twenty-somethings.

During the four years I spent at the University of Colorado at Boulder, I learned more than academics. It was an era of self-discovery, and the place that exposed me to world issues and opposing viewpoints. Ellen came out, but Mathew Shepard was brutally murdered. College was affordable, but the University took heat after admitting more out-of-state, higher paying tuition students. Campus NARAL hosted rallies for a woman's right to choose across the UMC Fountain from Pro-Life advocates protesting a local doctor's support of late term abortions. I waited for hours for a chance to hear Hillary to address the students in Norlin Quad about why we should "Rock the Vote" in favor of her husband, who promised to play his sax on MTV if elected. Yes, I am a Gen X'er, who once believed a Democratic President could be the only person on the planet with the convictions to protect the rights of every American boy and girl .

I was blessed to be born into an average, middle-class neighborhood. My parents were high school sweethearts and for 36 years have worked hard to escape the 50% divorce rate that plagues American families. I have family who benefit from the tax breaks afforded to the wealthy, and family who have had to rely on government assisted housing, WIC or food stamps for a time. I live in the beautiful state of Colorado, a place John Stewart described, "There is absolutely no middle ground in this state: You're either a rapture-awaiting Promise Keeper or you drive a car that runs on G.O.R.P." during the DNC. I am married to a registered independent, a man who voted against Clinton both times, yet admits he was the strongest President of our time.

Yes, I see both sides of the political equation. There are valid reasons for a strong national defense and a healthy socio-economic interior, and I believe anyone willing to stand up to the scrutiny of the national news media to seek the highest office in the land loves their country and has the best interest of the nation at heart.

I am fortunate to live in a country where, as a woman, I was able to open a small business. With that right, comes responsibility. Today, I should be working on my quarterly tax filing. Instead, I have another American obligation that requires my attention. The mail-in ballot for the 2008 election.

My Granny Hazel was born in 1911 and lived 93 years. She voted in 18 presidential elections, and told me when I turned 18 that if you don't vote, you forfeit your right to complain. She took her responsibility seriously (and complained quite a bit too!).

As I look back at the events that shaped my past and molded my beliefs, I realize the 2008 election is not about the past. It is about the present and affects the future. My present is comprised of the challenges of operating a small business during a recession, struggling to keep and heat our home, and affording quality health care. My future includes top-notch and affordable education for our son, saving for his college and our retirement, and leaving him with a healthy planet instead of a national debt. Today, I am voting...as a wife, as a mother, as a women... for the candidate that promises to protect the things that I hold dear to my heart.

Your concerns may not be the same as mine. Regardless of our differences, I encourage you to find the candidate who cares about your issues and get out and vote on Election Day. Otherwise, quit your complaining.

No comments: